Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Just When You Thought Things Were Winding Down

Another day, another typhoon.

But, I got to go home early and buy souvenirs at the mall. At one store, I walked up to the checkout counter and waited in line. In front of me was a young Filipina carrying a Gucci handbag. She and the girl behind the counter were talking in Tagalog. The guy behind the counter stared at the floor.

The girl with the Gucci handbag stepped aside, and I put my presents on the counter. Both girls continued talking in Tagalog, giggling every time I handed the cashier a new gift. The guy behind the counter stared at the floor.

I turned to the girl with the Gucci handbag and said, "I think my family will like them." She responded in perfect English as the two employees carefully placed each gift into a gigantic bag.

The girl behind the counter handed me the bag.

"Thank you sir!"

I took it and smiled.

"Salamat po!"

Both girls turned bright red. The guy behind the counter looked up from the floor and burst out laughing.

No comments: